Our Aspiring Edge
Westmont seeks to launch students for life, preparing them to successfully navigate the uncertain future. Recognizing the value of both academic study and hands-on experiences, the college encourages all students to participate in internships and apply what they’ve learned in class. Westmont also answers the call for more STEM graduates by augmenting its strong science program with additional faculty and renovated laboratories.
Help Prepare Students for Careers that Make a Difference
Westmont Downtown, a new semester-long program, brings students into the Santa Barbara community for internships and engagement with local businesses and organizations. A hub for people committed to social transformation and entrepreneurship, Westmont Downtown seeks to equip students to become social innovators and entrepreneurs who seek the global good.
- Student internship options include social enterprises, start-ups, non-profits, policymaking organizations and businesses
- Student internships rooted in a skills-based curriculum, co-curricular activities and technological innovation
- Students generate ideas for social change and then act on them
- A range of speakers, events and conferences promote social impact
- Westmont Downtown hosts a Santa Barbara-based Pepperdine MBA program: the Graziadio Business School Fully Employed program for working professionals
Your gift to Strength for Today provides important experiences for students like internships.
Support STEM Education at Westmont
A $750,000 Fletcher Jones Foundation grant funded a significant renovation of Westmont’s biology and chemistry teaching labs in Whittier Hall. The college has built a strong science program with significant opportunities for student research and a high acceptance rate to top medical and graduate schools. The renovation grew out of the college’s commitment to providing facilities and equipment as outstanding as its talented faculty.
- Labs transformed from floor to ceiling
- Redesigned space that better accommodates research projects and encourages interaction between faculty and students
- First renovation since the building’s construction in 1985
- First phase of work completed in summer 2015; funding being sought for the second phase to finish renovation of all labs
Your gift to Strength for Today supports Westmont’s outstanding science program.
Help Westmont Meet Future Challenges with the Innovation Fund
Westmont seeks to be on the aspiring edge, anticipating opportunities and overcoming potential challenges rather than just reacting. The Innovation Fund will support creative initiatives by professors and staff members that strengthen our academic program, increase efficiency in our operation and establish new ventures that benefit the college.
- Professors and staff members will make proposals for innovative programs
- Westmont’s Executive Team will select recipients of Innovation Grants each year
- This fund will help create a culture on entrepreneurial thinking and activity on campus
Your gift to Strength for Today creates a culture of entrepreneurship on campus.
Join the momentum.